11/9/10

The Garmin Forerunner 305

     Yes, this looks like a serious watch. That's because it is a very serious watch. I first saw this on my neighbor's wrist when she was training for the NYC marathon. (she finished in just under 4 hours) I asked her what this watch did for her that others couldn't and she replied with "This is my training partner and my coach". Apparently this little device does almost everything you would need on a run, except play music.That's why you need an iPod Shuffle. After a run she would plug it into her computer and it would plot out on a Google map where she went, her speed, heart rate, distance, pace, calories burned and of course the time. It has a GPS receiver that monitors your position and sends the data to your computer when you dock it. She said that the battery life was pretty good since she only has to charge it up after 3 or 4 runs.
     I don't run, but I am impressed with this little piece of technology. There is nothing like being able to see and analyze your progress. Rather than just guessing that you had a good workout, with this watch you can see and track your workouts to truly get a measure of improvement. If you run, bike, ski or walk You Gotta Have this watch to get the most out of your workouts.